Learning from the hacker culture of facebook
January 19, 2011
Some good insight provided by Hugh Pickens on Slashdot of how Facebook ships code.
It gives us a bit of a window into how Facebook’s hacker culture works.
1. All engineers learn the system at boot camp- 4/6 weeks of fixing bugs
2. Engineers get access to the live database
3. New feature ideas can be injected at anytime
4. New ideas are tested with a small percentage of users before implementation
5. All changes need to be reviewed by at least one person
6. No official quality control- every employee does it
Sounds like complete chaos where all engineers are constantly coming up with, testing and implementing new ideas, but probably the secret of their success and the appeal of their culture for engineers who want to create.
Posted by Ed CottonNext post Previous post